Monday, May 23, 2011

Day 84 - The stranded skipper

Our last PCP-lite day before the supersets start. I was planning to come straight home after work and do my skips in the park however, the weather had other plans and it started raining so I ended up at the gym instead. Unexpectedly here is part 2 of my gym observation - gyms are so bloody crowded!!!!! Do you think I could find a decent enough square of space where I should skip for 18 minutes and not hit anyone in the head. Nope. Impossible. Everywhere I looked someone was spread out on a a mat or crouched in deep conversation with a personal trainer. The boxing ring offered no possibilities either and the studios were packed with people spinning or engaged in some form of slo-mo calisthenics. Seriously?? You have got to be kidding me. I pay x amount a month to not even be able to find a measly patch of floor on which to skip? So I vote for a skipping zone in gyms. That's right enter and be whipped in the head at your own risk.

Off to a bad start, I decided to run instead, fine, I have confessed to enjoying running except - I forgot my headphones. No problem, I'll just borrow a pair - think again. I was informed I would have to BUY a pair for $50. Gah! I've become quite reliant on my music when I work out. It propels me along and distracts me enough to get through my fat burn so that it seems a lot shorter than it actually is. But the prospect of just me alone with my thoughts and footsteps was pretty awful. Perhaps I need to check out that meditation video Patrick sent around... How do people do this? Without sound I started paying more attention to my breath, the nagging in my calves...the timer.  Eventually I got through it but it seemed twice as long as it actually was!

With that out of the way, I decided to do 8mins abs. But had to circle the gym like I was waiting for a table at a foodcourt at Disneyland during school holidays. Mental note that when I build my dream house (it's good to dream right?) it must have a workout room (and a Japanese bath). I finally managed to stake out a spot and since I had no headphones I just cranked up my phone and shared the gang and the awesome 80s music with my fellow members.

So - that is just me blogging out today's  experience. Tomorrow will be a different story (and thank you Gilles for pacifying me with a delicious meal when I finally got home). Day 85? I'm ready for it!!!

New pics posted.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Check out those abs! Awesome work Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Down with gyms up with people!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so, if you could borrow head phones, would you actually wear them ? sweaty recycled head phones.. eeewww ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dream house, can we have a projection room as well please?
    :)

    ReplyDelete